Monday, April 27, 2015

Farewell to my good friend Manuel Kohn

After a long battle with several illneses, our good friend Manuel Kohn died in Manhattan this past Saturday.  For those of us who knew him, we remember a man who loved Venezuela, his Country of origin and who, for the past 15 years, fought for its freedom and justice.

I met Manuel five years ago at the exhibit of one of my documentaries about the late Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. Since then we became very good friends. He inspired me to do a documentary about Cuban Political Prisoners. He believed that the Cuban tragedy has become the new Venezuelan tragedy. He called it the Cuban Holocaust.

Manuel was a brilliant man who took New York by a storm. He lived in the Big Apple with the love of his life, his wife Beatriz whom he met in high school back in Venezuela.

Manuel was a thinker but above he was funny. He made light of everything and whenever you were with him; you had to laugh. His big line was “don’t worry, be happy.” Manuel Kohn not only inspired me but also kicked me in the butt when he felt I doubted myself. 

I will miss you my friend because you made me laugh when I just wanted to cry. Thank you for being there for me and for your honest friendship. You didn’t have the chance to see a free Venezuela, but I have no doubt that your wishes will always follow us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment